Welcome to my blog, aka my place to comment and reflect on things I find inspiring, amusing, irritating, or baffling. When I was young, my Stanford PhD, former physics professor, software engineer father used to help me with my math homework, and I, being mentally deficient in all things math, could never quite get it. He would constantly say to me, "Jill, it's not rocket science." (Did I mention the PhD was in Aeronautics and Astronautics??) So I thought it would be an appropriate title for this blog because everything I write about is, indeed, not rocket science.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Holiday Anxiety

It's October 23rd and I'm already getting anxious about the holidays. I love the holidays and all the fun and togetherness, but the older I get, the more I dread them in some ways. Last night I was thinking about all the things that are involved with the happiest time of the year: decorating, shopping, wrapping, parties, cooking, eating, coordinating, etc. There is a great line in my favorite Christmas movie, Christmas Vacation, when Ellen says, "It's Christmas, and we're all in misery!" This is my mom's favorite line. Every woman, and especially every mother, knows how much work the holidays are.

First there is the shopping. I do most of my shopping online, to save myself from the hell that is the mall at Christmastime, but it's still a lot of work and a lot of money. And I try to put as much thought as possible into my gifts, which means I usually don't go the gift card route. Then there is the decorating. This is an all-day, possibly all-weekend affair. Granted, I'm guilty as hell because I adore Christmas decorations and usually go way overboard, but still...it's a lot of work! Then there is the cooking and eating. I escape most of the cooking because I have a big family and a small house, but I still help out, and I usually bake some sort of holiday treat. But the eating...oh God, the eating. So much food. We have two major holidays a month apart, yet the food binging seems like it goes on for two months. The parties, the dinner celebrations, the leftovers, the cookies, the candy, and the booze. And then there's the inevitable guilt and "I hate myself" feeling after it's all over. Then comes the New Year's resolutions, when we swear we we will never eat or drink that much again! But we do, the next holiday season.

So yes, the holidays are joyous and fun-filled and all that. But they're also stressful, exhausting, and fattening. And that's why I'm having holiday anxiety on October 23rd. 


No comments:

Post a Comment