Welcome to my blog, aka my place to comment and reflect on things I find inspiring, amusing, irritating, or baffling. When I was young, my Stanford PhD, former physics professor, software engineer father used to help me with my math homework, and I, being mentally deficient in all things math, could never quite get it. He would constantly say to me, "Jill, it's not rocket science." (Did I mention the PhD was in Aeronautics and Astronautics??) So I thought it would be an appropriate title for this blog because everything I write about is, indeed, not rocket science.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Don't Drink Bleach and You'll Be Fine

I wanted to hang myself when I read this article. Here's a summary: "Fruits and vegetables labeled organic were, on average, no more nutritious than their conventional counterparts, which tend to be far less expensive. Nor were they any less likely to be contaminated by dangerous bacteria like E. coli. The researchers also found no obvious health advantages to eating organic meats." In other words, "The joke's on you, suckers, for paying double for your fruits, vegetables, and meat." Of course the article goes on to say that there are still traces of pesticides on non-organic produce and for this reason, organic is preferable. But if you don't mind some pesticides in your diet, then there's apparently no need to buy organic. Will I still buy organic? Probably, because I'm a sucker.

You really can't win. You try to be conscientiousness and healthy, but a new study reveals that another thing you're doing is slowly killing you. My friend showed me this website the other day, which explains how much BPA is in our bodies from all the food/drinks we consume that are contained in plastic. And I've read that canned food also elevates BPA levels in our bodiesGreat, now I'm going to die from plastic residue clogging my arteries. Oh, and those reusable bags I take to the grocery store because I'm a good environmentalist? They're giving me lead poisoning. Just one more thing that makes you want to bang your head against the wall. 

Over the years I've heard countless studies and new trends which praise or demonize certain foods/products. But it's all too much. At some point, you just have to throw up your hands and say, F it. In my opinion, as long as you're not drinking bleach, then you'll be fine. Now I'm going to go eat my lunch, which is inside a plastic container. And if I'm feeling adventurous, I might eat a non-organic apple. I think I'll live.  

(I recently tried out Tom's deodorant because I was trying to avoid the aluminum in anti-perspirants - apparently it gives you Alzheimer's. But guess what? I reeked. I think I'll roll the dice for the sake of hygiene.)

No comments:

Post a Comment