Welcome to my blog, aka my place to comment and reflect on things I find inspiring, amusing, irritating, or baffling. When I was young, my Stanford PhD, former physics professor, software engineer father used to help me with my math homework, and I, being mentally deficient in all things math, could never quite get it. He would constantly say to me, "Jill, it's not rocket science." (Did I mention the PhD was in Aeronautics and Astronautics??) So I thought it would be an appropriate title for this blog because everything I write about is, indeed, not rocket science.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Flannel Shirt

I went shopping recently and was dismayed to find flannel shirts back in style. When I was a freshman in high school (1993-94), grunge was at its peak. The glam of the '80s was over, and it was all about Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. Girls dressed like homeless men. The manlier and baggier, the better. This style lasted through my junior year. I had a closet full of flannel shirts, two of which were my dad's awesome Pendletons that he wore in the '60s and '70s. I would wear said flannels with an over-sized t-shirt underneath and some baggy, ill-fitted jeans. I even wore sweatpants to school (the real sexy kind, with the elastic ankles), and I owned various colors: maroon, grey, and navy. Oh, and my hair was hippie-long and parted in the middle, with absolutely no style. But lest you cast judgement, I was not an anomaly. This was the style. Every single one of my friends dressed like this and had the same long, middle-parted hair and wore the same baggy, boyish clothes. We thought we were hippies (of course we had no idea what being a "hippie" meant). We thought we were awesome.

Of course nothing humbles you like the passage of time. My friends and I now laugh at how hideously we dressed. We literally looked like boys. And the cruel irony is that we had these tiny little bodies, bodies that we would kill to have now, and we covered them up with men's clothing. So you might understand why, almost 20 years later, I struggle to embrace the flannel shirt comeback. I know that they are tailored and not over-sized like they used to be, but I can't. I just can't. Never again will I dress like a homeless man, no matter how fashionable.



(This isn't a great picture, but it's the best I could find. It's from 1996, and I have my dad's Pendleton tied around my waist. I'm also wearing a Star Wars t-shirt - another fashion gem.)

2 comments:

  1. "Girls dressed like homeless men." I laughed out loud at this line. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I on the other hand still love flannel, but have successfully fought my instinct to buy.

    ReplyDelete