Welcome to my blog, aka my place to comment and reflect on things I find inspiring, amusing, irritating, or baffling. When I was young, my Stanford PhD, former physics professor, software engineer father used to help me with my math homework, and I, being mentally deficient in all things math, could never quite get it. He would constantly say to me, "Jill, it's not rocket science." (Did I mention the PhD was in Aeronautics and Astronautics??) So I thought it would be an appropriate title for this blog because everything I write about is, indeed, not rocket science.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Phone Diet Results

It has been one week since my last post, when I said I was going to try and only use my phone when "necessary." Here are the results:

- Waiting for my sandwich order at the deli - no phone. Success!

- Waiting for my dress at the alterations shop - e-mail only. Moderate success.
- Watching TV last week - no phone. Success!
- Driving in the car (as a passenger) - e-mail and Facebook. Fail.
- Watching TV last night - played with phone a lot. Fail. (In my defense, the Olympics were kinda boring.)

I'm pretty impressed with myself, as there were many times that I really wanted to play with my phone and didn't. Did I feel less stressed and overwhelmed? Not particularly. But I think I might have felt a little more relaxed...just a little. It was only one week - I'm going to have to give it some more time and see if I notice any long-term positive effects. Like getting over my FOMO.  

Oh, and one thing that I did a lot of while sitting and waiting: people-watching. Man, is that fun. 



1 comment: