Welcome to my blog, aka my place to comment and reflect on things I find inspiring, amusing, irritating, or baffling. When I was young, my Stanford PhD, former physics professor, software engineer father used to help me with my math homework, and I, being mentally deficient in all things math, could never quite get it. He would constantly say to me, "Jill, it's not rocket science." (Did I mention the PhD was in Aeronautics and Astronautics??) So I thought it would be an appropriate title for this blog because everything I write about is, indeed, not rocket science.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

DVR Killed Channel Surfing

Remember channel surfing? It's something we did before DVR, when we watched like, 5 shows. Now I watch 20+ shows (not all at the same time, of course - some are summer shows, others are fall/winter shows). That seems obscene, but it's probably pretty standard. DVR (and Netflix and other content streaming sites) have changed the way we watch TV. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I don't think it's either because I don't think we're watching more TV, I just think we watch more shows that we love and do less mindless channel surfing (when was the last time your DVR was empty and you had nothing to watch, so just flipped through the channels?). We now have the ability to record a ton of shows and to catch up on prior seasons via Netflix, Hulu, whatever. And it's also much easier to get into new shows with DVR (remember setting up tapes to record shows??). You think, "Hmmm, that show looks interesting, I think I'll give it a shot." It's so easy. You record it, watch it, and are then hooked. Sigh. Add another show to the list.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment