Welcome to my blog, aka my place to comment and reflect on things I find inspiring, amusing, irritating, or baffling. When I was young, my Stanford PhD, former physics professor, software engineer father used to help me with my math homework, and I, being mentally deficient in all things math, could never quite get it. He would constantly say to me, "Jill, it's not rocket science." (Did I mention the PhD was in Aeronautics and Astronautics??) So I thought it would be an appropriate title for this blog because everything I write about is, indeed, not rocket science.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

The "I Shoulds"

I have a case of the "I Shoulds." I should read every night before bed. I should meditate daily. I should sign up for that martial arts class. I should bake more. I should call Bobo. I should upload and print my photos. The list goes on and on. It is basically a persistent voice in my head nagging me that how I spend my time is not satisfactory and I *should* always be doing something else because that other thing will help me lead a more fulfilling life. You know, living my best life (thanks, Oprah).

I have a new one. I should stop saying "I should" and tell that nag in my head to shut the hell up. I should be watching TV because I've worked all day and just feel like vegging on the couch and watching Tara become a crazy vampire (which I'm not a fan of, BTW). I should play on the internet even though I've been sitting at a computer all day because it's what I want to be doing at that moment. I should eat the chocolate ice cream bar because it's delicious and I worked out today. I should go to bed instead of read because I'm exhausted and closing my eyes just feels so damn good.


I should not feel guilty about what I'm doing at this moment because it's a choice and it is what is currently making me happy. Feeling guilty all the time is not a good way to lead a fulfilling life. I should go do some work. But I think I'll write this blog post instead.

3 comments:

  1. You should blog every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! This is awesome. And BTW, I believe that watching tv, going to bed or taking a nap when I'm tired, and playing on the internet IS living my best life. :)

    ReplyDelete